GRAB®-400 (ASTM M40)
The Ground Retractable Automobile Barrier (GRAB®-400) system is an active vehicle barrier that has met the demanding ASTM M40 test criteria established by the Department of Defense. The system provides ultimate security while reducing the likelihood of injury to vehicle occupants. In numerous real world impacts, the GRAB barrier has effectively stopped vehicles weighing up to 15,000 pounds traveling at speeds reaching 40 mph.
The GRAB system has been the barrier of choice for government agencies, military, petrochemical industry, and a wide variety of corporate companies and civil clients.
- ASTM M40 crash certified
- 12’ to 60’ tested – received P2 rating
- 12’ tested – received P1 rating
- Unlike other barrier choices, the GRAB- 400 provides a cost-effective means of securing a single 12’ roadway
- 18” shallow mount foundation
- Ability to reset and be back in operation within minutes of impact
- Short stopping distance
- Flexible design suitable for access control or final denial applications
- All electric operation
- Reusable system: interchangeable parts for quick and easy replacement
- No hazardous materials
- Traffic control devices integrated into barrier design
- Low maintenance requirements
- All weather operation
- Custom covers available to match facility design standards
- Cost efficient: replaces multiple barriers with one GRAB system
The GRAB system is continually proven to be reusable after impact. Once the barrier is deployed and struck by an oncoming vehicle, the net breaks free from the shear pins (shown above) and is released from the lifting arms. This feature is beneficial to replacement costs and facility operation.
With other active vehicle barrier systems, there is a significant replacement expense and down time after an impact. It is possible to clear the scene and reset the GRAB in minutes, allowing continued operation of the facility and traffic control.